The Umbrella Academy member makes a stylish return in the new season 2 character posters. The posters released by Netflix features each of the seven main characters with their faces hidden under an umbrella. The series is set to return on the streaming service on July 31, 2020.
Netflix also released The Umbrella Academy’s official synopsis. The series trailer will drop in a few hours.
On the same day in 1989, forty-three infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by a billionaire who creates The Umbrella Academy and prepares his “children” to save the world. Now, the six surviving members reunite upon the news of their father’s passing and must work together to solve a mystery surrounding his death. But the estranged family begins to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities, not to mention the imminent threat of a global apocalypse.
The Umbrella Academy’s first season was released on Netflix on February 15, 2019. Netflix reported in April 2019 that 45 million people streamed the season one during its first month of release. The project was first set to be a film adaptation development by Universal Pictures in 2011. The company change format of the project of a television series in 2015, before being officially greenlit by Netflix in July 2017.
The Umbrella Academy main cast include:
- Ellen Page as Vanya Hargreeves / The White Violin / Number Seven, a meek violinist with no apparent supernatural abilities, which somewhat alienated her from her siblings. In reality, she possesses the power to convert sound waves into a destructive force, an ability her father suppressed with drugs to keep others out of danger. T.J. McGibbon and Alyssa Gervasi portray Vanya as a teenager and a 4-year-old, respectively.
- Tom Hopper as Luther Hargreeves / Number One / Spaceboy, an astronaut with super strength. He lived on the moon for four years as a mission from his father. He was the only one of his siblings who did not leave the team and during a mission was severely injured. To save his life, Reginald injected him with a serum that turned his upper body into that of an ape. Cameron Brodeur portrays a younger Luther.
- David Castañeda as Diego Hargreeves / The Kraken / Number Two, a rebellious troublemaker with the ability to curve the trajectory of anything he throws, usually knives. Blake Talabis portrays a younger Diego.
- Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison Hargreeves / The Rumor / Number Three, a celebrity with the ability to control minds with the phrase “I heard a rumor…”. Eden Cupid and Jordana Blake portray Allison as a teenager and a 4-year-old, respectively.
- Robert Sheehan as Klaus Hargreeves / The Séance / Number Four, a flamboyant drug addict with the ability to communicate with the dead and temporarily make them corporeal. Dante Albidone portrays a younger Klaus.
- Aidan Gallagher as Number Five / The Boy, a boy with the ability to jump through space and time. After traveling to the future he ended up in a post-apocalyptic world, unable to get back. He survived on his own for decades before being recruited into the Commission, an agency that kept tabs on the timeline and figures who would threaten it. He eventually betrayed them in order to get back to his time to warn his family of the impending apocalypse and is constantly hunted by his former employer. Returning to his time causes him to revert to his thirteen-year-old body. Jim Watson plays an adult Five and Sean Sullivan portrays an elderly Five.
- Mary J. Blige as Cha-Cha, a Commission agent partnered with the character Hazel, she is “[a]ll-business” and the more sociopathic and ruthless of the two assassins.
- Cameron Britton as Hazel, Cha-Cha’s partner, a fellow assassin disillusioned with his life as an agent, who plans to leave the Commission after falling for doughnut store-owner, Agnes.
- John Magaro as Leonard Peabody / Harold Jenkins (season 1), Vanya’s love interest. As a kid, he was an admirer of the Umbrella Academy and begged to join, since he was born on the same day as the result of a normal pregnancy, but was humiliated by Reginald. He would later discover Reginald’s diary, detailing Vanya’s potential and inserts himself into her life with the goal of manipulating her into discovering and using her powers.
- Adam Godley and Ken Hall as Pogo, Reginald’s closest assistant, and an intelligent chimpanzee, with Godley providing the voice and facial performance capture, and Hall providing the motion capture for the body, and playing the character on the set.
- Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves / The Monocle, the Umbrella Academy’s adoptive father, and a billionaire industrialist who is deceased in the present day.
- Justin H. Min as Ben Hargreeves / The Horror / Number Six, a boy who can summon tentacled horrors from his body. Ben is deceased but appears regularly to Klaus and helps him occasionally. Ethan Hwang portrays a younger Ben.
The Umbrella Academy was a comic book series created and written by Gerard Way and illustrated by Gabriel Bá. The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite, the first six-issue limited series, was released by Dark Horse Comics between September 14, 2007, and February 20, 2008. The series won the 2008 Eisner Award for Best Finite Series/Limited Series. The Umbrella Academy: Dallas, the second series, was released in 2008. The Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion was released between October 3, 2018, and June 12, 2019. A proposed fourth series is in development is slated to be released in 2020.